Thursday, August 14, 2008

Repossession of the Heart

One day there was a conversation
you said "Miss, can you help me please?
Somebody has stolen my heart away"
I said "Sir-who could it be?"

You composed the perfect response
You gave a sweet description of me
I asked you if you wanted your heart back
You replied, "No it's safe, hers to keep"

In jest I replied to you,
"If I could I'd give you mine,
but my heart is absent from me too-
I have given it away for life"

"You see, the strangest thing happened to me
I met an angel right here on earth
I gave him my heart, to have and to hold
He'll keep it safe, he knows it's worth"

These silly little quips between us
That now I miss more than you could know
somehow this one sticks in my mind
This one, I can't let go

Even when we were joking
My words always came from deep inside
There was never anything to play about
I was serious about giving you my life

These words and others repeat themself
In silence, these are the things I still hear
All the things we ever shared
All the things that I hold so dear

Where does all the love go?
How does it end so fast
How do I take what I thought my life was
And throw it into the past

How did you just end it all?
Where did you lose sight of me?
When did you stop believing in us?
Why was it so easy for you to leave?

My head won't believe it was nothing
All the plans and dreams we shared
How could you throw me away like this?
How can you go on, and not even care?

I can not just let go of you
My mind fights it day to day
My heart still belongs completely to you
My soul pleads for this emptiness to fade

I trusted you, I believed in you
I never thought that I would end up here
I never thought you would treat me like this
I never thought you could be so cruel

I don't know what you are going through
Is it so bad that you had to just leave?
What did I do that turned you away
Tell me something, talk to me PLEASE?!

Everyday-this one conversation
plays over and over, I can't get it to stop
Do you remember what we had together?
Do you know you still have my heart?

I never expected to give all of me
I never expected to find someone as perfect as you
and I never would have expected to be right here
Alone-wondering, what did I do?

So all that I have, is all that we were
I still hope it's what we can be
I don't want a life that isn't with you
But I can't make you want that with me

I love you completely with all that I am
I would give you all that I have
You could have had my heart for a lifetime
You still have it, I can't take it back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SORRY YOU ARE HAVING A HARD TIME.
THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL POEM.