Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Is love enough?

To answer the question simply, NO.

To answer it with deep thought, NO.

You know, we live in a society that tells us that happiness comes from love and money, not necessarily in that order. Isn't the ideal life to have a husband, a great career, kids, pets, a dream house, a dream car, and everything that goes with it? Well, the first point here is that for all that you need money-which should be supplied by your perfect husband and thriving career-and then love is supposed to hold it all together. Now hold for a commercial break.

Don't we all wish it was just this simple?

Am I in a relationship? Yes

Am I happy? Most of the time

Am I in love? Completely head over heels

Is it enough? Again, NO.

We have unrealistic expectations for what love is going to do. Well let me tell you, just for me, what it will NOT do.

Love will never be enough to explain why the things in my life are not important to you.

Love will never be enough to ease the pain after my feelings have been neglected in search of approval that may never, EVER be gained.

Love will never be enough for me to go on in life wondering just where my life is going-because although you love me-show me where my life is changing because of that?

Love will never be enough for me to understand why I have to sacrifice what I want for what you hope for.

Love will never be enough for me to understand that my opinion means nothing.

Love will never be enough for me to allow you to buy me out of my discontentment.

Love can't talk to me. Love can't work through your problems. Love can't make you be a man.

Love is what makes me stay here. Love is what reminds me why I want to be here. Love is what allows me the patience to endure. But it is not enough.

Love is a feeling. Life is the action of time passing us by. Time waits for no man. I can't get time back because I didn't consider it important in the first place. Love doesn't stop time. Time can fade love.

Love.
It's not enough.

Written July 16, 2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just like you said-Love is enough to make you want to work through the problems presented.

Anything worth having will take work. Be proud that you committed yourself to doing the work, recognizing that love would make it worth it.

Alexander